Hot Springs, NC






The trip got off to a fantastic start when I arrived in Hot Springs to find a trail festival for Appalachian Trail thru-hikers...almost like a welcoming party!  After enjoying the food and festivities, it was off to find a place to camp for the night, and I lucked out for sure with that.  Silvermine Campground was right down the road and although technically it wasn't open for the season, the bathrooms were unlocked and the forest rangers that came to check the area didn't seem to mind us being there.  Spent about 6 days at the campground because it was such a fantastic little town and an easy transition into homelessness.  Since Hot Springs lies right on the AT, it is very hiker-friendly and I found everyone to be most hospitable, including a trail magic event where some kind ladies provided all the burgers and sides the hikers could eat.  I met lots of AT-ers who were all wonderful people and they seemed equally reluctant to move on from that town, but eventually we did, heading north toward Erwin, TN.

1 comment:

  1. AHHH! I am so excited for you! Thanks for posting this blog... its nice to be able to keep up with where you are and actually see some things you are doing! Please be safe! (not that I need to tell you that :) ) I LOVE YOU!!

    -Ashley B.

    ReplyDelete